Thursday, March 28, 2013

The most important thing I have learnt in the GNML online program


Global New Media Lab is “designed to nurture international high school students from around the globe… as young digital activists skilled in the use of innovative online and mobile tools for powerful change in communities worldwide.” 

Social Media is gradually becoming the learning language and communicating platform of the world. I was privileged to become part of the GNML community and soon acknowledged the importance of yoking good social media skills. My journey and acquaintance with the curriculum was most rewarding: finding a connection between the media world and social change.   

Although initially overwhelmed by technology and comprehension of tasks, a mindset of what it takes to become a true global participant was carved. I enjoyed interacting with new discoveries about how social media is utilized around the world. Learning how to operate social media networks benefits me as I am now able to participate in global conversations orbiting subjects that matter. Introducing these essential tools required for 21st century communication compels me to consider other means of relieving civic concerns and issues instead the conventional means of doing so. The GNML platform enabled me to consider the social predicaments other countries around the world are facing through exposure to other exchange students.  I thought it was specifically fascinating to note how much power and potential these networks and platforms grant ordinary individuals: simply employing social media can help promote a business, spark interest about a specific topic, or evoke civic interaction. 

Through GNML, I have learnt that social media is purposed to do more than just communicate- it is purposed to inspire change in communities.    
 
                                                   Image from Google Images

No comments:

Post a Comment